You are here

Philippines News

Quake rocks Cebu

Cebu Sun.Star - 10 hours 3 min ago

WORK was disrupted after hundreds of employees were evacuated in Cebu City after a magnitude 6.5 earthquake struck Eastern Samar at 1:37 p.m. on Tuesday, April 23.

In Cebu, the quake was felt at different intensities: Intensity 3 in Cebu City, Bogo City and Argao; Intensity 2 in Mandaue City; and Intensity 1 in Lapu-Lapu City.

Magnitude refers to the energy released by an earthquake, while intensity refers to the strength of the shaking, which varies in different locations.

Schools like the University of San Jose-Recoletos suspended their classes.

“All are now suspended until tomorrow as per the instruction of the Father President. This is to give time for the engineers to check the buildings after an earthquake,” the school said in a statement.

The tremor sent some employees of government offices and private companies rushing outside in panic.

Employees of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau 7 evacuated their building after the quake. Business process outsourcing employees at the I.T. Park, Cebu Business Park and Oakridge Business Park were also evacuated after the quake was felt in high-rise buildings.

The quake, which was tectonic in origin and had a depth of 17 kilometers, had its epicenter located northwest of San Julian, Eastern Samar, said the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs).

It was followed by four more tremors, with the latest having a magnitude 4.6 and centered northeast of Catbalogan, Samar.

Residents in San Julian, Eastern Samar felt the magnitude 6.5 quake at Intensity 6.

Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum reminded residents to expect damage and aftershocks, but he said the quake would not trigger a tsunami.

Meanwhile, Robinson Jorgio, a seismic observer at Phivolcs in Lapu-Lapu City, said last Tuesday’s quake was not connected to the tremor that shook Central Luzon last Monday afternoon, April 22.

Aside from being far apart, the quakes happened on different fault lines, Jorgio said.

Since no one can predict when and where an earthquake will strike next, he urged private and public sectors to comply with building requirements to make sure the structures are earthquake-resistant.

“The shaking caused by the earthquake does not kill. But it can cause some structures to collapse, resulting in injuries and deaths. And since we in this country have experienced strong earthquakes, I hope we’ve learned our lesson. Earthquakes can strike anytime, anywhere,” Jorgio said in Cebuano.

After the quake shook Cebu, firefighters from Mandaue City and Bantay Mandaue responded to a smoke alarm at the Gaisano Grand Mall in Barangay Centro past 2 p.m.

Mall management immediately evacuated the building when smoke was detected on the fifth floor near the power house. Firefighters put on a breathing apparatus to prevent them from inhaling toxic fumes.

Investigators have yet to determine if the fire was caused by the earthquake or by the high temperature outside.

No one was hurt in the incident.

Tuesday’s tremor occurred just a day after a 6.1-magnitude earthquake hit Zambales and affected several areas in Luzon, including Metro Manila.

As of 2 p.m. Tuesday, 11 fatalities had been reported in Luzon. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said 81 were injured and 24 remained missing. (JOB, SunStar Philippines, FMD of SuperBalita Cebu, PJB)

Categories: Philippines News

Water crisis worsens with Jaclupan Dam drying up

Cebu Sun.Star - 10 hours 26 min ago

AT LEAST 24,000 households in Talisay City and parts of downtown Cebu City will only have running water for one to two hours a day starting Wednesday, April 24, as water production at the Jaclupan Dam continues to drop as a result of the El Niño.

The Cebu City Council has requested the Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) to come up with a long-term solution to resolve water shortages during dry spells.

MCWD spokesperson Charmaine Rodriguez-Kara said that as of Tuesday, April 23, the dam’s production was down to 9,000 cubic meters per day.

“So those who had water supply for three to five hours before, it may go lower to one to two hours,” she said.

In normal weather conditions, Jaclupan Dam produces 33,000 cubic meters of water per day.

“So if we have one cubic meter per day demand per household, we can only serve 9,000 households at present out of the 33,000 households,” Kara said.

Affected areas include elevated and interior portions of Talisay City, Bulacao, Inayawan, Cogon Pardo, Kinasang-an, Basak San Nicolas, Basak Pardo, Mambaling, N. Bacalso Ave., Sawang Calero, Suba, Pasil, San Nicolas proper, Pahina Central, Kalubihan, Sanciangko, Colon, Kamputhaw, Sto Niño, Pari-an, San Roque, Tinago, Kamagayan, Tejero, T. Padilla, Tisa, Punta Princesa, Labangon, Banawa, Salvador, Katipunan, Capitol Site, Oprra, Calamba, Sambag 1, Sambag 2 and Sta. Cruz.

Kara said they had expected Jaclupan Dam to supply water up to the last week of May or the first week of June, but as of Monday, April 22, the surface area of the facility’s infiltration basin had dried up.

The demand for water in MCWD’s franchise areas in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue, Talisay and Lapu-Lapu and the towns of Consolacion, Liloan, Compostela and Cordova is 450,000 cubic meters daily. But MCWD can only supply 43 percent of the demand, or 238,000 cubic meters per day. This has prompted it to ration water in some parts in Talisay City and Cebu City.

Kara said they will have to use other sources to increase production.

“Last Wednesday, we also installed booster pumps in (the) Carreta area to bring water from the north to the uptown area in Cebu City,” she said.

With temperatures remaining high until the end of the month, the public has been advised to brace for the heat to intensify next month, with May considered the hottest month in Central Visayas.

According to Jhomer Eclarino, weather specialist of the weather bureau Pagasa in Mactan, the highest temperature recorded in Cebu so far this year was 34.6 degrees Celsius last Saturday, April 20.

The heat index, or “the measure indicating the level of discomfort the average person is thought to experience as a result of the combined effects of the temperature and humidity of the air,” was 42 degrees Celsius.

But the highest heat index recorded this month was 43 degrees Celsius at 2:37 p.m. last Thursday, April 18. The temperature was 34.4 degrees Celsius with 59 percent humidity.

“We are expecting the weather to remain the same in the next few days until Sunday since there is no weather disturbance that can bring in rain... Yes, until May, it’s possible it will be hotter because of the weak El Niño,” Eclarino told Superbalita Cebu in Cebuano.

In May last year, the highest recorded temperature in Cebu was 45 degrees Celsius. He expects it to be higher next month. He also expects the drought to worsen. (With FMD of SuperBalita Cebu, PJB)

Categories: Philippines News

San Fernando ‘languishes’; political rivalry to blame

Cebu Sun.Star - 10 hours 26 min ago

AFTER learning that the intense political rivalry in her town has turned off investors and tourists, reelectionist San Fernando Mayor Lakambini “Neneth” Reluya has taken steps to improve the peace and order situation there.

These include an executive order that she will draft that temporarily bans the wearing of face masks on the streets until June 30 following reports that residents have seen armed men in masks roaming around the town since the campaign period began.

During a meeting with her town’s Peace and Order Council on Tuesday, April 23, Reluya said the heated rivalry between her and mayoral candidate Ruben Feliciano has taken its toll on the town’s residents and establishments.

Filomeno Leyson, the town’s Purok president and a Reluya supporter, said he received numerous threats, particularly from Feliciano’s group, that he would die if he didn’t leave the town.

Leyson said he already reported the matter to the police but they don’t seem to be doing anything about it.

He said some residents are losing confidence in the local police for their failure to solve the killings of public officials earlier this year.

“Scared” investors, tourists

Aside from Leyson, at least 100 of the mayor’s supporters in San Fernando’s 21 barangays have also reportedly received threats from Feliciano’s group.

The mayor also received reports that armed men were seen accompanying opposition candidates during their sorties.

Members of the town’s business sector have also claimed that the rash of violence has scared away potential investors and tourists.

During the meeting, Violy Musngi, a member of San Fernando’s Chamber of Commerce, said owners of the cement manufacturing firm in South Poblacion have not visited the plant since the killings began. They prefer to conduct business in their office in Cebu City until the tension between the two political groups in the town subsides, she said.

Mary Jane Cebrian, a representative of one of the town’s resorts, said local resorts have received fewer visitors even though it’s peak tourist season. The number has dropped by around 40 percent, she pointed out. “They often ask if it’s really safe to stay in San Fernando,” Cebrian said.

Since January, four public officials have been gunned down by unknown assailants.

They were the mayor’s husband, Panadtaran Barangay Captain and Association of Barangay Councils President Ricardo Reluya Jr.; his predecessor and Magsico Barangay Captain Johnny Arriesgado; and Municipal Councilors Reneboy Dacalos and Alfonso Donaire IV.

Except for Reluya, Arriesgado, Dacalos and Donaire were reportedly murdered due to their alleged drug links.

Cebrian said that before Feliciano came into the picture, San Fernando was starting to attract tourists after the current administration introduced new tourist sites.

Reluya said she was afraid the political violence would leave an indelible mark on the town.

Police assurance

“If we will be known for this scenario, who will be interested to put up a business here or just to visit here? Nobody will come if this continues,” Reluya said.

Feliciano, in a separate interview, denied allegations made by Reluya’s group.

The businessman from Mindanao said he did not bring armed goons to his sorties, adding that it was Reluya’s supporters who harassed his supporters.

Instead of blaming him for the town’s woes, he said Reluya should focus on improving the town’s illegal drug situation, which he described as “bleak.”

“Ako pa niya, musurrender nalang gyud (If I were her, I’d give up). She has no moral ascendancy because she is a drug protector,” Feliciano added.

Last month, Reluya said she would file libel charges against Feliciano for linking her to illegal drugs.

Meanwhile, Police Major Lymel Pasquin, San Fernando police chief, told those who have been receiving threats to report the matter to their station for recording purposes.

Pasquin assured them that his office would charge those who issued grave threats.

As to the presence of armed men, Pasquin vowed to increase their checkpoints and patrols, particularly in the mountain barangays.

Although he admits he only has 32 personnel in the station, Pasquin said he will maximize them to ensure that police visibility will be felt in every area in the town.

If the mayor’s executive order against mask wearing is approved within the week, they will be willing to help the Municipal Government implement it, Pasquin also said.

Categories: Philippines News

Sale of 3 hectares of SRP land on hold

Cebu Sun.Star - 10 hours 26 min ago

THE public bidding for the sale of three hectares of land at the South Road Properties (SRP) has been postponed for the third time.

The Cebu City Government set the bid price for lots 1-F-8-A and 1-H-1 at P110,000 per square meter, or a total of P3.3 billion. The lots are near the boundary of the cities of Cebu and Talisay.

The Bids and Awards Committee (BAC) set the bidding on Tuesday, April 23, after the bidding was first scheduled on Jan. 23 before being moved to Feb. 8.

It was again moved because they did not receive the written guidance from Mayor Tomas Osmeña, Assistant City Administrator Veronica Morelos, BAC chairperson, told Superbalita Cebu.

No date set

Morelos also did not say if Cebu Landmasters and Manila-based developer Federal Land, the two interested bidders, showed up at City Hall last Tuesday.

Federal Land had offered to buy the 29,881-square-meter lots 1-F-8 and 1-H-1 at P115,000 per square meter with a total purchase price of P3.4 billion.

The City Council gave Osmeña authority to get involved in the selling of SRP lots.

Morelos did not say when the new schedule for the bidding will be, as she has yet to receive instructions from the mayor.

Osmeña had criticized former mayor Michael Rama’s administration for selling 46 hectares of SRP land at P38,000 per square meter. (From PAC of SuperBalita Cebu, KAL)

Categories: Philippines News

6.5 earthquake rattles Visayas

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
A strong earthquake measuring magnitude 6.5 rattled parts of Eastern and Central Visayas, including Cebu, yesterday afternoon, a day after a similarly powerful tremor shook parts of Metro Manila and nearby areas.
Categories: Philippines News

Youth delegates told: Feel at home in Cebu

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
Thousands of youth delegates from across the archipelago are in Cebu April 24-28 for the National Youth Day activities, and though they are far from home, Catholic leaders want them to feel that’s not the case.
Categories: Philippines News

Renato richest city dad with P41M

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
Cebu City Councilor Renato Osmeña Jr. is the richest councilor with a total net worth of P41.3 million in 2018 or P2 million more than his worth in 2017.
Categories: Philippines News

De los Santos: Cops sowing fear

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
“Why have our police been striking fear among us when they are the ones who should be protecting us and assuring us our safety?”
Categories: Philippines News

Police nab Talisay City’s most wanted

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
One of Talisay City’s most wanted was arrested Monday afternoon in Sitio Crusher, Barangay Lawaan III.
Categories: Philippines News

Public cautioned on "media plot"

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
Below is the statement of the Cebu Citizens-Press Council on the alleged media plot to destabilize the government written by Executive Director Atty. Pachico A. Seares:
Categories: Philippines News

Sinas: Cop’s ambush a retaliatory attack

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
Police Regional Office-7 director Brigadier General Debold Sinas believes that the shooting of a police sergeant allegedly involved in illegal drug trade was a retaliatory attack.
Categories: Philippines News

MCWD told: Solve recurring water crisis

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
The Cebu City Council is calling on the Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) to come up with a long-term solution to address the recurring water problem during the dry season.
Categories: Philippines News

Commission bullish on cutting poverty to 14% by 2022

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
The National Anti-Poverty Commission (NAPC) is looking into the possibility of reducing the poverty incidence to 14 percent or 14 million families from 16.1 percent or 16 million families in the next three years.
Categories: Philippines News

More areas to suffer as Jaclupan dries up

Cebu Freeman - 10 hours 39 min ago
Jaclupan Dam’s infiltration basin, where water from the sedimentation basin is filtered, in Talisay City has totally dried up due to the mild El Niño.
Categories: Philippines News

Magnitude 6.5 quake rocks Eastern Samar

Philippines Star - 10 hours 39 min ago
A day after a powerful earthquake left more than a dozen people dead and several buildings damaged or destroyed in many parts of Luzon, a magnitude 6.5 quake rocked parts of Eastern Visayas yesterday, causing further damage and raising fears of more casualties.
Categories: Philippines News

Clark airport partially opens today

Philippines Star - 10 hours 39 min ago
A total of 108 international and domestic flights remained suspended at the Clark International Airport here since Monday’s earthquake, stranding at least 1,500 passengers as of yesterday.
Categories: Philippines News

Supermarket owner surfaces, faces raps

Philippines Star - 10 hours 39 min ago
After turning himself in to authorities, the owner of the supermarket in Porac, Pampanga that collapsed during Monday’s earthquake is now facing investigation and possibly criminal charges on President Duterte’s orders.
Categories: Philippines News

Work in courts suspended for quake damage checks

Philippines Star - 10 hours 39 min ago
The Supreme Court (SC) suspended work yesterday in all courts in Metro Manila and Central Luzon provinces that were hit by the magnitude 6.1 earthquake last Monday.
Categories: Philippines News

Sisig, halo-halo, adobo among world’s top food experiences

Philippines Star - 10 hours 39 min ago
Three favorite Filipino dishes – adobo, sisig and halo-halo – were named among the world’s top 500 food experiences, according to an international travel publication.
Categories: Philippines News

Luzon quake death toll hits 16

Philippines Star - 10 hours 39 min ago
Even as a new powerful earthquake hit central Visayas yesterday, rescuers worked overnight to retrieve more bodies from the rubble of quake-stricken Central Luzon.
Categories: Philippines News

Pages

Subscribe to Moalboal, Philippines Information aggregator - Philippines News